Thursday, August 12, 2010

Okay, I Take It Back About the Snap Peas!

You might remember I posted awhile back that my attempt to stagger my snap pea plantings looked to be a failure. As it turns out, it wasn't at all! My snap peas that I planted later have continued to produce as the first ones burnt out, with the result that I still have bunches of snap peas every day, and we're eating fresh veggies from the garden like I had hoped. In past years, we've just had a burst of snap peas and then they were gone, but this year the staggered plantings worked like magic and we've got a sustained harvest that so far is not letting up. I love it when things go right!

Since my kids really love raw veggies and aren't so keen on canned or preserved stuff, it's one of my goals to move towards a year-round harvest. This means staggering how I plant things, and using our sun room and cold frames to try and extend the season as much as I can. I'm still learning as I go, but I count this as a victory along the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

definitely a victory!

We have also had a mild summer for the most part up until this last weekend.

We are getting our cold frames ready although I am a bit behind on getting fall crop seeds in the ground. I may have to buy some starts at this point but I'm hoping the cold frames will help me force some seeds.

It's all a grand experiment!