Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Bike is Mightier Than the Sword

















Doesn't this photo just say it all? From a recent parade in our town. While I don't think it is the be-all and end-all solution to all wars ever, the bicycle can be seen as a major force for change in the current Wars for Oil that we are fighting (and will be fighting for our foreseeable future). And after seeing this guy on his bicycle, who among us has an excuse not to be pedaling!



















And here's our mayor, thankfully eschewing a large 1950's gas-guzzling parade automobile for some pedal power herself. Now if she commuted to work by bike, I'd be much happier, because then maybe some of our more bicycle-friendly initiatives would be getting more play in the city council. Not that I'm complaining, this is a great town to be biking in. But there's so much more we could be doing. Why are we thinking of taking the totally bike and pedestrian-friendly fairgrounds out of the middle of town, selling that land to a developer, and re-locating the fairgrounds and event center out where everyone will have to drive to reach it, for instance? I know I won't be going to most events if I have to hop in a car instead of pedaling there. And I've really enjoyed the valet bike parking available at the fair and so many events at our current fairgrounds.
















Speaking of valet bike parking, how's this for cool! Hubby and I went to a college football game and the valet bike parking there was awesome (and totally full!) It was an encouraging antidote to the endless motorhomes tailgating in the monstrous parking lot. We had a beautiful ride down there on such a pretty fall day. It was nice to know that our bikes would be safely attended while we were watching the game.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it! Wish I were in your community with valet bike parking...

I'm a bike-owner, not a car-owner and very proud. Being in Boulder, Colorado (a VERY biker friendly town) I can get around everywhere on my bike and appreciate that the city has been conscious of bikes and alternative forms of transportation by appropriately planning the city to meet our needs. When I break it down, biking is not only better for the environment by reducing emissions...it aides in my connection with nature--I can hear the creek while biking down the path, I know the temperature of the air, and I can avoid SOO much traffic. There is no disconnect. For me, it helps me identify with all the elements of my environment rather than being separated by a glass and box that is fueling our war. It helps build a sustainable community in every essence of the word.