Saturday, February 26, 2011

Slacker, That's Me

I know I've been a blog slacker on this blog. What can I say? I only have time to write this right now because I'm in a hotel room with nothing else to do. I coach my son's high school aged FTC Robotics team and we're going to the State championships tomorrow. So I have a few minutes to post. But the last few months have been total chaos.

Every day, I think of dozens of really cool things I could post about in the realms of sustainability, food security, people-powered transportation, gardening, etc. but I somehow never manage to do just that. I'm going to try to be better in the next few months.

In the meantime, we've just been keeping on. Our garden is in its usual winter hibernation, though with the cold frames I'm going to plant lettuce next week and see what happens. My kale made it through the winter in the cold frames which was nice. Even though it was 9 degrees this morning! Our kids are looking forward to getting some spring chicks to add to our flock in the next few weeks. And other than this morning when ice on our hill was too scary, I'm back to commuting on my bike as often as I can.

That's about it from our Urban Farm. Hopefully more to come soon...

5 comments:

Konnie said...

I hope your team does well in the state finals. That is a big deal. I hope you do blog about the subjects you mentioned. Those are things I am working on and always like ideas and advice on how to do better.

Patricialynn said...

Glad you're back! I know what it's like when life gets busy.

I am curious, though - do you have any thoughts on the "Urban Homesteader" trademark controversy?

Andrea said...

I am wondering how your kale made it through the winter. Did you plant it in the cold frame, or did you put the cold frame on your established kale? Very cool that yours made it, I am not sure I would be able to, but who knows!

Jeff Z said...

Hi-

I found you through the 'next blog' link on blogger. I also write an urban farming blog, but from Minnesota. Take a look if you like at http://eighthacrefarm.blogger.com

BTW- we also miss Rep. Oberstar here. The guy was a tireless advocate for a slew of good causes, and his replacement isn't half the legislator he was. It's great to see that people outside of Minnesota were aware of his contributions.

Jeff

BakedandAwake said...

I'm also trying to improve my commitment to blogging about our own little Seattle Urban Farm. Sure looks like you've already produced a waelth of content for us! I'm going to enjoy poring over your older posts to see how your urban farm has evolved. Good luck!