Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Good News For Chicken Fans in My Town

On the heels of posting the Chicken Rap, here's some great news from our own city. Our council suspended our city's two-chicken-per-household limit! You can read more about it here. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for a future chicken rule.

Some options are:

- No limits (let current nuisance laws regarding noise, odors, etc. stand in cases where there are complaints)
- Four chickens per household plus one extra chicken for each 1,000 square feet of land (this is the law of our neighboring town)
- Revert to two-chicken law (not really very helpful since chickens are flock animals, trying to keep two is crazy)

I'm obviously hoping for one of the first two. In order to have eggs for a family of four, you really need 5 - 6 chickens.

2 comments:

Konnie said...

My cousin is one of the salem residents fighting to have chickens. My little town voted it down. Made me angry. I have 3 chickens because I had them before the law changed and have about an acre in town. I would really like 2 or 3 more but don't want to push it. City council are very difficult to deal with. Two good posts about it. Thanks
Konnie

Caroleena said...

Hi...Anne and I have the raised beds all planted now, and the next step is to start planning the chicken coop...I think here in Columbus Ohio we have to get permission of neighbors before we chicken-up. :) Time to hit the Columbus ordinances...twenty years ago residents of Columbus could keep goats in the city - I knew a family that kept two milkers in their garage...Carolyn