Wednesday, February 10, 2010

One More Reason to Not Use Toxins

This is just so sad. A family lost two little girls (ages 4 and 15 months old) after hiring a company to use chemicals to eliminate voles from their lawn. The pellets used mixed with water to release deadly phosphine gas. It's pretty unthinkable to me that this sort of thing is even allowed under law. As it happened, the gas entered their home, possibly through cracks in the foundation. However, as soon as this kind of poison is laid down in a suburban area, there's no telling what it could kill (pets, other kids that might venture onto the lawn, other wild animals, fish in streams that the water drains to). I can't imagine what this family is going through, don't want to think about what it would be like to lose two of your children in a week. My heart goes out to them.

At the same time, we simply can't put poison into the environment and think that it's okay.

No comments: