Wednesday, December 03, 2008

My Unofficial Bike Count


While gas prices continue to plummet (fortunately at least signalling that we're collectively using less of the stuff), I have been surprised to note that the number of bike commuters has remained relatively high. Even as we head into December and the colder and wetter weather that comes with the winter months, I have noticed an unusually high number of bike commuters on my regular routes.

I usually keep my own personal tally as I commute to work, and as I bike home from the gym in the morning. Two years ago, it was typical to see about 10 - 15 cyclists on my 2.5 mile route (one way). This year, it's about doubled to an average of 32. That's more than one cyclist per block on my route!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you bike in the winter! I go in to work by bike in the spring, summer, and a bit in the fall, but winter is too much for me. How do you keep warm in the winds and such?